Thursday, May 9, 2013

So Many Subductive Plates ;)


Hey scientists!


This post is bitter sweet, seeing as it is my last post on this trip. I have had a truly incredible time and have learned so much about our earth throughout my journey. I have to thank you, my readers, for supporting during this awesome experience. I hope that you will continue to read my blog on my coming adventures. But enough sad stuff, here is my last post:
http://themisanthropesjournal.blogspot.com/2011/07/
mariana-trench-is-deepest-point-in-earth.htm


http://www.divediscover.whoi.edu/tectonics/tectonics-subduct.html
http://themisanthropesjournal.blogspot.com/2011/07/
mariana-trench-is-deepest-point-in-earth.html

I arrived in Guam and got straight on a boat two days ago After several high-speed hours, I arrived at the Mariana trench ( 11.18°N, 142.14°E). The Mariana trench is the lowest point in the ocean and its all because of tectonic plates. The Mariana trench is located on the border between the Mariana and the Pacific Plates. Around this area there are also lots of volcanoes on nearby islands and earthquakes of 8+ magnitude. I only got to stay for one day on the boat, seeing as I'm on a strict schedule, so I took the first flight to Argentina. I then drove to the worlds highest active volcano, Nevada Ojos del Salado (27.12°S, 68.55°W). This volcano is located near the border between the Nazca and South American plates and emitted ash in 1993.  The last known eruption is approximately 1300 years ago though. There are many earthquakes in that same area, some close to a magnitude of 8. Now I'll explain the science of these two natural phenomenons. 

Both of these awesome (dare I say magical) features are located on subduction boundaries. Subduction is when two plates collide and the denser one (the oceanic plate) is forced to subduct under the more buoyant plate (the continental plate). In doing so, magma is created by the heat caused by friction and since it is less dense, it rises through the crust and finds its way to a volcano. Trenches are formed because of the slope of the plate which water is filling in. Subduction is a truly amazing boundary. 

Until next time,
Your tectonic traveler XOXO


http://andesmarques.blogspot.com/2011/03/
nevado-ojos-del-salado.html

2 comments:

  1. Wow Rebecca! I am absolutely enamored with your blog, I love the tone of voice, and you include the perfect amount of information. Your photos are well selected and I loved reading it! -BD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! I especially like the parts about the individual places, it provided more information about the details of the boundaries as a whole.

    ReplyDelete